Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Furniture Update



I went home to vote last weekend. Stupid absentee ballot. Stupid me for totally forgetting to send in the stupid application for the stupid absentee ballot. *sigh* Oh well, what's another thousand miles on the Jeep?

In addition to getting to spend time at home - yay! - my little trip also allowed me to ferry more furniture back from my storage unit. If I'm not careful, this apartment will start looking like someone lives here.

It's funny. I have furniture. I have beautiful furniture. Is it in my apartment, where I can use it? Well. No. It's in a storage unit at home in Ohio. Good place for it, don'tcha think? My adventures in acquiring said furniture are detailed here. Yes, it was a year ago.

I've managed to get things somewhat organized. The dumpster dived end tables finally made it to Goodwill. The cardboard is mostly gone - hooray for friends moving! And for recycling! Four of the six bookcases are assembled and filled so the piles of books have decreased substantially. I have a baker's rack, and despite previous intentions, I didn't steal it. (I don't like it as well either. Maybe I'll switch 'em. It's not too late!) My flora cart is assembled and full of plants. I bought a recliner, so I do have some places to sit.

And slowly, I'm hauling my haul to my lair. The hall table and mirror came first, along with the little table lamp thing. My huge coffee table (they call it a cocktail table, whatever that means) is here, as is my end table/night stand. And, new this last trip, my dresser. (The picture above of the same model. Special bonus - the sweater chest is also the same model as mine.)

The dresser is a Vaughan-Bassett model - Grandma's Treasures. This is the one that Mom was supposed to talk me out of. Obviously that worked. At any rate, my dad and I crammed it into my Jeep Cherokee. The dresser is 45" x 56" x 19" so it was something of a squeeze. We had to remove the spare tire from its hanger on the side wall to get the dresser to fit. Here's the really amazing part - I actually called for help to get it back out of the Jeep when I got back here. I think I could have gotten it by myself - it just takes determination - but Dad made me promise that I'd get help before he'd help me put it in the Jeep. He's such a killjoy.

My original plan was to put this dresser into my spare room to hold my crafting whatsits... But I determined that with the other dresser, the table for my sewing machine, and the four drawer lateral filing cabinet in there, if I actually added the dresser (assuming I could get it through the door), I wouldn't have any room to set up the inflatable queen sized mattress that I use for company. *sigh* New plan - this dresser shall be my sideboard in my dining area. I've already started loading the drawers - tablecloths and placemats in one, my sprinkles/sugars collection in another, cookie cutters and presses in yet another. I love having a place to put stuff!

So, when I go home for Thanksgiving, I'm going to try to stuff the sweater chest in the Jeep next. I'll already discovered that my kitchen table just won't fit. No way, no how. And I'm afraid the chest won't either. Aw well, maybe if I just scoot the seats up a bit... Wish me luck!

No comments: