Wednesday, July 19, 2006

German Kung Fu

So, did anyone watch Jon Stewart last night?

He had a clip of our fearless leader grabbing onto the German chancellor at the G8 conference. She got this look of total revulsion on her face and threw her hands in the air - sort of like they tell you to do to break someone's hold on you in self defense class. Actually, Jon's comment was that she learned that maneuver in date rape avoidance class. I haven't been able to find the clip anywhere, and I prefer to check my sources. Did it really happen? The eight most important people on the planet, and one of them is so clueless regarding protocol that he clamps onto one of the others like she's one of his cigar-smoking crony poker buddies back on the ranch. WTF??

On the other hand, he also showed the clip of Bush vs. Putin on democracy. Here's the transcript:

BUSH: I talked about my desire to promote institutional change in parts of the world, like Iraq, where there's a free press and free religion. And I told him that a lot of people in our country would hope that Russia will do the same thing. I fully understand, however, that there will be a Russian-style democracy.

PUTIN: We certainly would not want to have same kind of democracy as they have in Iraq, quite honestly.

BUSH: Just wait.

"Just wait?!?" Wow. There's some stunningly clever repartee. Does that mean we're invading Russia next? *sigh*



EDIT: I'll be damned. It did happen. Check it out.

No comments: