Saturday, September 05, 2009

An Unexpected Journey

On Friday morning, I was counting down the hours 'til I could escape work and head to the studio. Then my supplier called. The 50% fall-out on a product from a sub-supplier became zero yield and the problem wasn't fixed and, long story short, before 4:00, I was on a plane to San Diego. I love packing in 15 minutes. It's my favorite!

So Friday was spent traveling, Saturday was mostly spent at the sub-supplier, fooling around with DOEs and going through 2000+ parts, trying to find some that were salvagable. Saturday evening and all day Sunday were spent in the company of the general manager of my supplier, wandering ALL over San Diego. We hit the Gaslamp District downtown and ate at Fred's on Saturday night, where I had the best margaritas I think I've ever tasted, and really good Mexican. Yum! Sunday, we started by wandering around Old Town, moved on to Balboa Park, toured the Air and Space Museum - and their exhibit on Leonardo de Vinci - and then headed to the Midway. We had dinner at one of the little cafes along the water, the Edgewater Grill. The drinks there also rocked - I had their lemonade slush and a peach bellini. Monday was spent at the sub-supplier, with lunch at Karl Strauss Brewing Company and dinner at George's At The Cove in La Jolla before heading to the airport for the red-eye home. (Karl Strauss' was a little oasis in the city, and their mac and cheese is delicious. The view was amazing at George's. The food? Not so much.) Turns out that San Diego has an 11:30 pm curfew for planes, and even though we could see our plane through the window, our crew was stuck in Phoenix... which made us stuck in San Diego. The airline put us up for the night at the Holiday Inn across the street from the Midway, and the bar was still open when we arrived. My new favorite hard cidar? Strongbow. So yummy. Then Tuesday was spent traveling back home. [Clearly I'm feeling the link love today.]

Here, in pictures taken on my shiny new iphone, are some of the high points of our wanderings around San Diego...

Saturday evening...















Then Sunday...





















Monday...




Tuesday...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you got some good pictures! :)

I hate packing SO MUCH that I still (to this very day!) keep a suitcase with everything but clothes, unders, socks and shoes at the ready. Seriously. It has duplicates of everything - soap, shampoo, etc. even cosmetics - that I need to "function". Throw my laptop into a bag, and I can go.

Now I'm hungry for mac-and-cheese!

Suldog said...

Love the "nurse-sailor" sculpture! You got some really nice shots.